Monday, July 25, 2011

Family Hike

We took our first family hike last week up Old Woman Mountain. Our housing area is built at the base of the mountain and it is supposedly named for the back half which is falling a about. This was not only our first hike up Old Woman but our first hike since last year when we found out I was pregnant. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to make it to the top however when friends told me about their 3year old climbing it I figured I could do as good as a 3year old. So off we went.


While it was a little steep in some areas my biggest issue was the rocks. I had Caitlyn on my front in the ergo carrier which made it a little difficult to see where I was stepping. The girls however had a blast trying to keep up with Lucy, the dog. This was probably the slowest hike Scott has ever taken. However, we had a great time checking out all of the future berry picking spots and talking with other hikers.


For the most part the trail was very thick with bushes however occasionally there was a clearing that allowed us to get great shots of the town of Kodiak as well as the base and our housing area. The first clearing we came to overlooked the base. We got there just in time to watch the afternoon trainer taking off. The girls loved it.



A girl and her dog

By the time we got almost to the top Alisha and Lucy were pretty wore out but still in good spirits. I thought Alisha would be fussy however attempting to keep up with Lucy kept her paying too much attention to being tired. Bri gave up her attempts at keeping up about half way up and finished the hike in the carrier. I was really impressed with how well they both did for having never really hiked before.



WE MADE IT!!!!


I had to get a little proof that I made it to the top. Although I didn't make it as far as I wanted. There is a flag about another mile from where we were and just past that is a mountain top lake. The lake was our original goal however I was so relived to make it to the top that we didn't want to push it. We also figured the lake would make a nice goal for another day.






No comments:

Post a Comment