Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lasik Eye Surgery

As everyone knows my eye site has always been pretty bad and I have been a little curious about have them corrected, however with the procedure being so expensive I didn't really think I would get it done. However, with us being so close to be completely debt free and extra money coming in this month S and I have decided to go ahead and have the procedure. With care being limited in Alaska we didn't want to have to fly back to the states to have it done. We had a consultation on Monday with a doctor recommended by the MacDill Airforce Optometrist. The consultation was very in-depth and answered a lot of questions. S seemed to get a full apprecitation for how poor my eye site is. At one point he asked the doctor what my perscrition was, "like 20/400?", the doctor snickered before telling him it was a lot worse than that. He put the 20/400 test up and I couldn't even tell there was anything on the screen other than a faint shadow.

The procedures take approximately 30mins. and a laser cuts a flap in your cornea and then corrects your prescription from there. The recovery time is approximately 24hours before you are able to fully function again. With side affects such as halos, haze and dry eyes lasting about 3months. The company we are going with has several good reviews, they were even recently approved to perform this surgery for a NASA astraunat, which was pretty interesting.

Even with all the good things we have heard about them its a little scary! I guess because I figured it would never happen I hadn't really given it much thought. Now that it is, just the thought makes my eyes water and puts a knot in my stomach! What if something happens and I'm worse than I started? or it messes up the move? or I never see my girls faces again?? Whatever happens though I know I'm in God's hands, and things will work out according to his plan.

1 comment: