Monday, January 31, 2011

Rabbit Stew

So I finally got brave enough the other week to cook the rabbit S caught the other day and made my first ever rabbit stew. It's not just my first rabbit stew it is the first time I've ever cooked anything wild or hunted, other than fish which doesn't really count. I have known for a week now that we had rabbit in the freezer and I was going to cook it in a stew. I was even a little excited about this new experiment. However as I stood in our kitchen that morning getting everything together I became very aware of the fact that I was going to have to actually touch a dead rabbit. I'm not really sure why the thought of touching a dead rabbit caused so much apprehension it was so strange it was actually kinda funny. It didn't matter how good the stew smelled all day I couldn't even bring myself to taste it, although I knew I was going to have to eat at least a bowl for dinner. It was a very strange day. However at the end of the day I did overcome my issues and try the stew. It was actually pretty decent to have been my first time. The meat turned out very tender although we really needed more meat. I used the same recipe that I use for my beef stew only substituted the beef for rabbit. So for a first time experiment it turned out very well and I'm actually looking forward to trying other types of meat. S came home with 2 more rabbits the other day that I have to try new recipes on so if anyone has any good rabbit recipes please pass them on.

2 comments:

  1. The men and boys around here like fried rabbit best (just like fried chicken, only smaller).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'll have to try that next. He brought home two more that I didn't have a clue what to do with so he gave to a guy from church thats been wanting to try some. Do you have a recipe?

    ReplyDelete